Apply / Audition
Apply, Audition, and Interview for the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance
Admission into all music degree programs as an undergraduate major or minor requires an audition for and acceptance into the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance as well as acceptance by the CSU Office of Admissions.
- PART 1: Audition/interview for CSU Music
- Please refer to your degree and instrument/voice audition requirements.
- For Fall 2021 entry, auditions will be via video.
- You may audition/interview prior to applying to CSU.
- Fill out your application for a CSU Music audition/interview
- PART 2: Apply to CSU through the Office of Admissions.
- We urge you to apply for admission to the university as soon as possible during your senior year.
If you have questions about this process, please contact SMTD@colostate.edu.
Degree Area Audition/Interview Requirements
Instrument/Voice Audition Requirements
Fall 2021 Start
Our official audition/interview days have concluded, however, we are still accepting late auditions. Auditions and scholarship will be considered on a space-available basis.
If you have additional concerns or questions, please email Murray.Oliver@colostate.edu.
2021 Audition Details for All Applicants
- All prospective students will submit an application through the Acceptd audition portal. To complete your application, you must upload your video audition.
- All prospective students will submit a video audition through the Acceptd audition portal. Details, such as repertoire, will be provided.
- After your application is submitted, including your audition video, you will be contacted about scheduling an interview session.
- Percussionist, please note: Percussion auditions and interviews will be hosted by the student in Zoom. You will invite Dr. Hollenbeck and record the session. This is the video that will be uploaded to Zoom.
- Video audition length should be approximately ten minutes and selected pieces should be representative of your best ability.
- Please refer to the audition requirements and suggested repertoire listed on the individual instrument pages.
- Interview Session Details:
- Students will have a 10-minute interview with an applied music faculty panel. Additional scales and sight reading may be requested. Voice students will be vocalized during the interview.
- Music Therapy and Music Education applicants will have an additional interview with faculty from these areas.
- Sight-reading and pitch-matching ability will be assessed during the interview.
- The interview will be hosted by the faculty and recorded in Zoom.
Resume and Letters
- As part of the audition registration process, please upload an artistic/performance resume. An artistic resume is a list of the performances of which you have been a part, groups with which you have performed, a list of solos or instances that you been individually featured in a piece of music, competitions you have entered, awards you have won, Teachers with whom you have studied, and any other information that you feel tells us something about what you have done as an artist.
- You are also asked to provide the names and email addresses of two references.
Acceptance letters and notifications of scholarships awarded will occur on an ongoing basis throughout the acceptance process.
Scholarships are awarded based on audition day results. There is no separate audition for scholarships and you must audition in-person for full scholarship consideration. Full list of undergraduate scholarships.