Apply / Audition
- Admission into all music degree programs as an undergraduate major or minor requires an audition for and acceptance into the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance. Admission into degree programs in Music Education or Music Therapy requires an interview with area faculty members as a part of the audition process. You may audition and interview prior to acceptance by the Office of Admissions. If an audition in person is not possible, a recorded performance may be allowed for admission.
- Admission into the music program as an undergraduate major or minor requires acceptance by the Office of Admissions at Colorado State University. We urge you to apply for admission to the university as soon as possible during your senior year.
- For your audition, please refer to individual instrument/voice web pages for audition requirements.
If you have questions about this process, please contact SMTD@colostate.edu.
To apply to CSU, go to admissions.colostate.edu
2020 Audition Days
Saturday, Jan 18, 8 a.m. — 12 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 1, 8 a.m. — 5 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 22, 8 a.m. — 5 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 29, 8 a.m.— 5 p.m.
Testimonials About Individualized Visits
Everyone there was so happy and the girls giving me a tour seemed happy to be at CSU and were happy to be showing me around. It was a great experience and i cant wait to see more of what CSU has to offer. — High School Student, Sept. 2019
Resume and Letters
Please bring a performance resume with you on the day of your audition/interview. You are encouraged to submit two confidential letters of recommendation. Letters should be sent ahead to the following address:
- Undergraduate Admissions
- C/O Tom Krebs
- 1778 Campus Delivery
- Fort Collins, CO 80521
- Audition performance length should be approximately ten minutes and selected pieces should be representative of your best ability. You will be asked to sight-read and to perform scales. Please refer to the audition requirements and suggested repertoire listed on the individual instrument pages.
- Our diagnostic testing and interviews with the faculty take approximately one additional hour total.
You are strongly encouraged to audition in-person, however, if you cannot attend one of our four audition dates, you may upload a video audition through our online registration portal. You must complete the online audition registration form and follow the instructions provided for the video audition. You must audition in person for full scholarship consideration.
Scholarships are awarded based on audition day results. There is no separate audition for scholarships and you must audition in-person for full scholarship consideration. Full list of undergraduate scholarships.
Acceptance letters and notifications of scholarships awarded will occur on an ongoing basis throughout the acceptance process.