The percussion program at Colorado State University is a comprehensive approach to the study and performance of literature in all styles and idioms of music. The percussion curriculum is designed to develop musicianship, technical proficiency, cultural awareness, and technological literacy in both performance and pedagogy. Regardless of degree concentration, the percussion curriculum creates periods of study that are curriculum driven and periods that are student driven, based on the individual student’s interests, goals, and needs. Graduate students may choose to specialize in one or more areas as they work toward degree recital requirements.
The goal of percussion studies is to provide professional-level experiences and opportunities for all students that will foster growth through self-discipline, creativity, and entrepreneurship. Successful students will embrace these challenges and others as they develop a passion for life-long learning that will lead to a rewarding career.
The Percussion Studio averages 18–22 students.
The Percussion Ensemble performs a variety of traditional and contemporary works on a wide variety of instruments. Ensemble membership is required for all percussion majors as it is integral to the development of a contemporary percussionist. The CSU Percussion Ensemble was the 2019 winner of the highly competitive PAS "Call for Tapes" and performed a highly acclaimed showcase concert at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention in Indianapolis. The CSU Percussion ensemble was also chosen to perform at PASIC in 2010 for the New Music Literature Session.
Directed by Eric Hollenbeck
Music majors and minors only
Vasanta Percussion Quartet
Formed in 2009 at Colorado State University, the Vasanta Percussion Quartet is a champion of a wide variety of percussion instruments and styles with a special interest in new music. The quartet works as an educational outreach by bringing new and fresh music to new ears. Current members: Leo Canale, Eric Hollenbeck, Jeremy Maytum, and Shilo Stroman.
Bells / Xylophones / Vibes
Guest Artist and Poster Gallery
No pre-screen video is required.
Freshman Audition Requirements:
- Snare drum: Contest solo from Peters, Cirone, Wilcoxon, Whaley, or the equivalent.
- Mallet Percussion: Major/Natural Minor/Harmonic Minor Scales 2 octaves, Contest solo or etude for 2 mallets AND a contest solo or etude for 4 mallets.
- Timpani: Contest solo or etude for at least 3 drums that includes rolls
- Drum set (optional, but recommended): A demonstration of basic styles, i.e., Swing (trade 4’s), Latin, Rock.
Additional Requirements for Freshman Audition:
- Snare drum rudiments from the PAS 40 Rudiments performed open-closed-open. Sight-reading on mallets.
Transfer Audition Requirements (demonstrate the following areas):
- Snare drum: Etudes reflecting a concert and rudimental approach, i.e., Concert: Peters, Delecluse, Cirone: Rudimental: Wilcoxon; Pratt or equivalent.
- Mallet Percussion: J.S. Bach transcription (2 or 4 mallet)
- Four-Mallet suggested repertoire: Burritt: October Night, Deane: Etude for a Quiet Hall, Dietz: Madison’s Unicorn, Edwards: Marimba Dances, Klatzow: Inyanga, Sammut: Four Rotations, Smadbeck: Virginia Tate, Tanaka: Two Mvts. For Marimba, Stasack: Six Elegies Dancing, Stout: Astral Dance, Yoshioka: Suites 1-3
- Timpani: Etude or Solo i.e., Delecluse, Hochrainer, Carter, or equivalent.
- Drum Set: (demonstration of basic Swing, Rock, and Latin styles as listed below, and trade fours in each style)
Additional Requirements for Transfer Audition:
- Snare drum rudiments from the PAS 40 - open/closed/open
- Major and minor (natural, harmonic) scales (two octaves)
- Sight-reading on mallets and snare drum
No pre-screen video is required.
Sight reading: expect to read on marimba and snare drum.
All applicants must perform in all listed major areas; please see below. Repertoire below is only a suggestion; please contact Dr. Hollenbeck directly if you have any questions concerning appropriate repertoire.
- Snare Drum: Etudes by Delecluse, Cirone, etc., orchestral excerpts (two).
- Marimba: 2 or 4 mallet solo transcription – J.S. Bach
- Marimba: 4 mallet solo - by Druckman, Thomas, Schwantner, Burritt, Ewazen, etc.
- Timpani: Etudes/Solos by Delecluse, Carter, etc., choose two standard orchestral excerpts.
- Xylophone: Choose two standard orchestral excerpts.
- Drum Set: Optional--demonstrate proficiency in different styles (swing, latin, funk, etc.).
PLEASE learn all entrances for your chosen orchestral excerpts.