Apply / Audition
Applicants seeking admission to the Master's of Music program, please visit our online application to apply.
In addition to the general admission requirements set by the Graduate School, applicants must fulfill the following requirements set by the School:
- Applicants electing the performance or conducting options must audition in person for area faculty.
- Applicants electing music education, music education with Kodály emphasis, or music therapy may audition in person or submit a recording.
- the School will be in contact once we receive your complete application to schedule an audition.
- The Graduate Record Exam test is not required for entrance into the University or Music Program.
- Diagnostic exams in music theory and music history are required of all incoming graduate students, except those pursuing music therapy. The purpose of the diagnostic examinations is to determine whether students are prepared to undertake history and theory courses at the graduate (500+) level. On the basis of these examinations, MU334, MU335, and/or MU412 may be required as prerequisites for 500 level courses in music history and music theory.These examinations are critically important. Diligent preparation and review can significantly improve your performance on them. Study guides for both exams are posted on this page. If you are required to take remedial courses, they will provide a valuable opportunity to enhance your knowledge and sharpen your skills. The diagnostic examinations may be repeated once.
- Note: Students who do not take exams and/or who fail an exam or exams a second time, will automatically enrolled in the appropriate remedial courses in music history and music theory.
Your completed application and all associated materials must be received by Feb. 15.
Submit Application Materials
- After submitting your online application and paying your application fee, begin submitting your supporting materials to complete your application.
- Upload a variety of supporting documents directly to your application.
- To submit official transcripts, contact your previous institutions to request they submit official transcripts to Colorado State University (use institution code 4075)
- For any documents that cannot be uploaded, submit paper copies directly to the Office of Admissions at:
Colorado State University – Office of Admissions
1062 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1062
Check Your Application Status
View the status of your application at any time to ensure your application checklist is complete or check on updates.
Graduate Audition Requirements and Suggested Repertoire
Please refer to individual instrument/voice web pages on this site for specific graduate audition requirements and suggested repertoire.
2020 Audition Days
Saturday, Jan 18, 8 a.m. — 12 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 1, 8 a.m. — 5 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 22, 8 a.m. — 5 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 29, 8 a.m.— 5 p.m.